Known for its monumental scale of traditional holiday décor and dazzling lights, this year Biltmore’s annual Christmas at Biltmore celebration will offer even more than ever before.
A yuletide feast for the senses, Christmas at Biltmore begins Nov. 1, 2019. One week later, on Nov. 8, the estate will welcome Downton Abbey: The Exhibition, an immersive experience that celebrates the global hit television series and new feature film.
Biltmore House aglow with five dozen Christmas trees
Biltmore House interiors will shine with the sparkle of more than 50 hand-decorated Christmas trees, ribbons and garlands measured by the mile, and thousands of lights. A majestic 35-foot Fraser fir in the Banquet Hall is the home’s holiday centerpiece. For the first time, hand-decorated Christmas trees will be displayed on the balcony that wraps around the home’s two-story Library.
Candlelight Christmas Evenings
During Candlelight Christmas Evenings, candlelight, firelight, and live music will create a magical environment that elevates seasonal celebrations inside Biltmore House. A 55-foot Norway Spruce on the home’s front lawn lit with 55,000 lights will greet guests as they arrive to enter Biltmore House.
The warm welcome continues at Antler Hill Village & Winery with a constellation of holiday lights leading to the Winery and estate restaurants. A towering tree of lights will illuminate the Village Green, with a sea of lighted grapevine spheres nestled in the landscaping. Lights cascading from the trees that surround the bonfire area near Antler Hill Barn will offer a unique touch to the experience.
Downton Abbey: The Exhibition
Downton Abbey: The Exhibition will feature interactive elements that connect fans to their favorite characters, fashions, locations, and historic events of the era. Showcased in two estate locations, the exhibition pairs seamlessly with the real-life story of the Vanderbilt family at Biltmore. Amherst at Deerpark will host multimedia presentations and some of the series’ most recognizable sets—including Mrs. Patmore’s hectic kitchen and the gossip-fueled servants’ quarters. At The Biltmore Legacy in Antler Hill Village, a gallery of more than 50 costumes from the series will be on view.
The exhibition will run through April 7, 2020. Access to Downton Abbey: The Exhibition is included with daytime admission, Candlelight Christmas Evenings admission, or an overnight stay that includes daytime admission.
Christmas at Biltmore 2019 Event Calendar
- Christmas at Biltmore daytime experience – Nov. 1, 2019, through Jan. 5, 2020
- Candlelight Christmas Evenings nighttime experience – Nov. 1, 2019, through Jan. 4, 2020
- Illumination of Antler Hill Village – Nov. 1, 2019, through Jan. 4, 2020, 5:30 p.m. to midnight
- Downton Abbey: The Exhibition at Biltmore’s Amherst and the Biltmore Legacy in Antler Hill Village – Nov. 8, 2019, through April 7, 2020
- A Gardener’s Place How-to Seminar: “Illuminated Holiday Tablescapes” – daily Nov. 1 through Dec. 31, 2019, at 1:30 p.m.
- Conservatory’s annual seasonal display – Nov. 1, 2019, through Jan. 5, 2020
- Complimentary wine tasting at Biltmore Winery. Winery specialty tours available with additional price and reservations required – Nov. 1, 2019, through Jan. 5, 2020
- Bonfires in Antler Hill Village with s’mores kits available for purchase at The Creamery – Nov. 1, 2019, through Jan. 3, 2020, select dates, 3 to 10 p.m.
- Roving Holiday Carolers in Antler Hill Village – select dates
- Candlelight Winery Tour with a look into the winemaking process and tasting with light cheese pairing. Additional price and reservations required.
- Visits with Santa at the bandstand in Antler Hill Village – select dates
- The Inn on Biltmore Estate’s Annual Gingerbread House Tea – additional price and reservations required – Dec. 14 through 22, 2019, select dates, 1 to 3 p.m.
- Festive holiday meals prepared by award-winning chefs served in all of the estate’s restaurants – ongoing