Want to farm?
12-Month, Farmer-Led Training Program
Many skills are required to start and expand a successful farm business: passion, clear goals, production experience, financial and marketing know-how, and more. Farm Beginnings® will help you build these skills through one year of farmer-led training, mentoring, and networking. Using a holistic management frame, farmer-led classroom sessions, on-farm tours, and an extensive farmer network, Farm Beginnings® will help you clarify your goals and strengths, establish a strong enterprise plan, and start building a profitable and sustainable operation. Although students do not need to own land, some farming or production experience is required to get the most out of the program. As we know, farming is more critical than ever. Apply to this program and be prepared when crisis hits!
200+ Hours of Training
- Winter Whole-Farm Business Planning Courses—60 hours—October–March
- ASAP’s Business of Farming Conference—8 hours—February
- OGS Spring Conference & Harvest Conference—20+ hours—March & September
- Mentorship with an experienced Farmer Mentor—15 hours—March–September
- Production Training: WNC CRAFT Tours & Field Days at the Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy Incubator Farm and Living Web Farms—45 hours—April–October
- WNC CRAFT Farmer Network: Membership and mentoring in a regional farmer network—April–October
Curriculum & Schedule
Location of Winter Whole-Farm Business Planning Courses 2020-2021
The locations for the 2020-2021 class will be at the Small Business Center at We will keep our website updated if we shift to online classes.